Fixing the old girl, Sirena

Then Sirena

Ever since childhood, I have always been tinkering with electronics. I’ve taken apart so many toys and small appliances to understand how they operated and only a few of these remained in pieces. Others were combined together to make more interesting toys.

The ability and extent that I could tinker was one the major reasons why I bought the Sirena. This machine was designed by BMW DreamworksUSA with parts from Saeco. The machine had already spent about two years on the coffee market before I even bothered to take a peek on it.

The Sirena had mixed reviews but after watching a few teardown videos of the Sirena on YouTube, I was interested in playing with this machine. I love machines that I can tinker with and fix myself with easy to buy/replace parts. So, I walked into a Starbucks and there was the Sirena on sale for $300 from $599.00. For me, that was a steal of a deal.

I’ve had Sirena for a little over three years now and she still runs wonderfully. I don’t like the original parts used for foaming milk. I couldn’t get consistent microfoam from it. Eventually, every time I turned on the steam wand, the part would fly off! So, I threw it away and worked with the barebones wand, which actually produced microfoam more reliably.

I’ve taken her apart a few times to clean out the nylon tubing. I had noticed an odd flavor in the coffees that I was making. Even after a few citrus acid flushings, the sour flavour persisted.

Taking the machine apart, I found out that the nylon tubes were filled with a black who-knows-what. This black goop was slippery and foul smelling! So, I cleaned the tubes with a scrubber, although it probably would have been easier to replace the tubing.

Good as new, again.

This year, Sirena began leaking quite a bit of water and I traced the leak back to a faulty nylon tubing. The end of this tube had frayed so much that water was leaking out every time I pulled a shot.
Sirena - Broken Nylon Tube

It was an easy fix. Only the end of the tubing was broken, so I cut remove the hose clamp. Then, I cut off the end of the hose, slipped on a new hose clamp, and reattached the tube. After refitting the new hose clamp, I tested the machine and it run just like new again. The whole process took a leisure half hour and costed me less than $3.

If the machine ever broke down, I’d be about the replace the insides for about $150 with OEM parts. For a machine of this calibre, $150 is still a fantastic deal.

I love the continuous pump steam wand and the quick heat boiler. It doesn’t have the speed of a commercial machine, but it is much faster and reliable than other residential machines that I have worked with.

I love this machine and will continue to maintain it the best I can. <3

More Artwork

Wicked Wednesday: Harley Quinn

read more

Follow Fridays: The Beehive

read more

Mighty Monday: The Hulk

read more

In love with Elle's art?

Bring her to your next event!
Guests will feel extra special when you treat them to a personalized latte styled with custom latte art.

Latte Artist Service

♥ $125 + gst for the first hour
♥ includes all coffee and coffee supplies
♥ coffee menu includes silky micro-foamed lattes only
♥ 5 to 8 latte art pieces per hour
♥ requires access to electricity
♥ $45 + gst per additional hour

Barista Workshop 101

♥ $65 + gst per person
♥ 120 min interactive tutorial on latte creation & latte art practice
♥ includes one bag of coffee beans & milk for workshop
♥ hands-on tutorial with commercial grade equipment
♥ on-location tutorial and venue options available (additional fees may apply)

Book Today